A few months ago I wrote to the list re: nursing home regulations (fed/state)
side rails for beds.  The problem....Mother used the half siderail on the bed
to reposition herself on the bed, help getting in and out of
bed.....regulations say no more siderails..some patients slipped and "hung"
themselves in siderail.  Remove siderail as a safety measure....forget that
it yields some level of independence.

SAFETY BELTS:  Mother had a stroke on Friday which has resulted in paralysis
on her right side.  She fell out of her wheelchair yesterday and cut her
forehead.  My sister asked if the velcro safety belt could be used to keep
Mother upright in the wheelchair to prevent more falls.  The answer (thanks
to fed/state regulations) is No.  The seat belt is a restraint.  Trays (like
a high chair tray) are restraints.  Lap pillows are restraints.  Mother has
to have the choice to get out of the chair (even though she can't stand
alone).  Our alternative to letting mother fall out of the wheelchair is to
let her remain in bed all day.

Contact your local ombudsman, state regulatory agencies, state
representative, federal legislative reps and organizations such as AARP or
any other group that represents the aging population.

I hear/read many comments re nursing home staff/care being oppressive.  We
are in desparate need of nursing home care for my Mother....the staff is
wonderful....but the regulations which will not allow mother some small
degree of independence or safety do work to tie the hands of those who do try
to care for her.

I do not need the names and addresses of folks to contact.  My sister and I
have contacted those people this weekend.  We have written our letters.  We
have made those calls.  But this affects not only my Mother....but
potentially all of us.

I am not in a position to take this on as a cause, nor to organize any grass
roots effort.  We are currently dealing with my PD, mother's stroke, the
death of a 31 year old niece following surgery for a brain tumor (February)
and my 13 month old grandson has just been added to the wait list for a liver
transplant (Glycogen Storage Disease IV....40 known cases in the world.....4
children living with new livers.)  My plate is full as I am splitting my time
betwen Nebraska  and California(grandson and his family).

Rita Weeks 54/10
Lincoln, NE