Dear Teresa,
Is your mom using hormone replacement therapy (if at age 57 she is peri-
or postmenopausal)? Also, does she take vitamin/mineral supplements? Her
present daily menu is very low in nutrients, not to speak of protein,
and she will surely suffer from this.

HRT can help keep her bones strong (bone thinning is common to PWP), and
some studies indicate it may even slow progression of PD in women. She
also needs adequate calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D.

A plain 3 1/2" bagel contains 7-8 grams of protein. An egg contains only
6 grams. Could she try an egg with some fruit or fruit juice, to raise
the carbohydrate content of the meal? Eggs have excellent protein, and
she surely needs that.

Could she try a snack of 2 TB raw nuts plus 1-2 cups of fruit? or a
low-protein, high-carbohydrate smoothie made of Ensure plus fruit and
honey/sugar? Or 1 TB peanut butter with jelly on whole-wheat bread plus
fruit juice?

If she is losing weight,she is almost certainly losing muscle mass and
probably bone mass also. It is very important to help her maintain
nutrient repletion and avoid serious problems and possibly
hospitalizations later on.

Pallidotomy can improve appetite and lessen need for medications in some
people, so it may solve some of these problems.

Good for you for seeking assistance to help your mother.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD