Actually mine were a bit different.  It began with very shallow breathing
and then intermittent deep sighs to compensate.  This was thought to have
caused the numbness.  Sort of like very slow hyperventilating.  Then I had a
bad reaction to Paxil which caused me to hyperventilate until I passed out.
then I would stop breathing so my body could catch up from too much oxygen
and the oxygen level would drop to the point where I would start to
hyperventilate again.  This would continue for 30 minutes or longer all the
while being semi unconscious and unable to remember the incident.  Then the
fear factor took over that this might happen again so it kept happening.  I
finally worked through the fear with a psychiatrist but the shallow
breathing and deep sighs continued but were later releived with Sinemet.  I
dont know if anyone else has noticed this but I have read that shallow
breathing is not uncommon with pd and wonder if it is some type of internal
dystonia or something.  If so, that could be your mothers problem.  Would
like to have someone more knowledgeable comment on that.
Jennifer