Bent Willow wrote:
> >We had a death of a PD person taking TASMAR here. A retired  MD was on
> >TASMAR. He was depressed about his condition  and felt he was headed for
> >stage 4+ or 5 fast.  His death was self-induced .
>
> My husband had a similar reaction to Tasmar.  Once we stopped the drug his
> PD improved considerably.  It is sad that no one thought to address the fact
> that Tasmar might have been causing this physician's rapid decline.

To Mary Ann and Will: That sounds possible but not likely. Like many
other drugs, Tasmar may injure the liver in a small fraction of the
users- If the injury is slow and cumulative then monitoring of certain
enzymes in the blood, particularly ALT which is a sort of liver
"distress signal" can give ample warning to stop taking the offending
drug in time to avoid further injury. But one unusual form of liver
damage is called "fulminant" liver failure because it can progress from
no symptoms to life-threatening in less than a day, with the liver
virtually destroyed. If that form occurs, then even a weekly blood test
might not catch it in time. Fulminant hepatic failure (FHF) is always
accompanied by dementia (confusion, disorientation, coma) caused by
failure to get rid of ammonia, which then poisons the brain. I'm sad to
read of your friend's suicide, but it doesn't sound like he was
demented. In any case an autopsy, or at least a report by an attending
physician to the FDA, which maintains reference files on such things,
would certainly have been useful to future research. In sympathy,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road