Greetings to everyone. Whilst you were all discussing the pros and cons of research funding in the USA, it reminded me of this article from Dec last year. Even though it is somewhat old news now, it occurred to me that people from other countries may not have heard about this "breakthrough", and also just to tell you that you're not alone with research problems. This is an article from the New Zealand Herald dated 14.12.98.

Breakthrough highlights funds threat to research, by Catherine Masters

Research such as the Auckland-based development of two revolutionary neurological drugs is under threat from inadequate funding, says the man behind the discovery.  The new drugs, which stop damaged brain cells from "committing suicide", may help millions of people worldwide who suffer from distressing disorders such as miltiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease.  Clinical trials of one of the drugs, which were developed by an Auckland Medical School team headed by Prof. Peter Gluckman, could start within the next few years.  They could also be worth billions of dollars and prove a pharmaceutical cash bonanza for the country.  But Prof. Gluckman gave a dire warning about the country's waning research and development sector, for which funding was "piddling".  "We're the only Western country which has not developed a biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry of note. To be honest, if we were starting again in this current environment I don't think we could have made the discoveries we have made. " To attract investors for clinical trials of the drugs the school has set up a company, NeuronZ.  Prof G would not predict how "big" the drugs would be until the clinical trials were complete. Until now only the symptons , such as the tremor for PD, could be treated. "Now what we're looking at is the fundamental of changing the survivability of brain cells - and that is just a totally novel concept which we and others have developed over the past three or four years." This was possible because chemical damage to brain cells caused by PD & Alzen's did not kill them immediately, as previously believed.  The drugs stop the cells "committing suicide" over several days. Production of one drug, an injectable hormone, required expensive DNA technology and clinical trials were likely in months.  The other drug was a small molecule which was easier to make and could be taken orally.  "The sale of any of these agents are counted in the billions of dollars each year, " Prof G said. "The only available drug for multiple sclerosis - and not a very effective one - sold more than $1 billion in the US in its first year on the market.

Finis, and those were my abbrevations
Robin, the listener from NZ/Aotearoa
&, thanks to those who welcomed me to the list. Michael, for your info, Aotearoa is the Maori language name for New Zealand.
--
Robin  Ingram, trade aid & one world books volunteer [log in to unmask]
the proper way to read any book is with at least 2 cats assisting