I have some personal experience with this issue.

What this paper is referring to is the rapid change from one agonist to
another.  When the new agonists first came out on the market the package
insert I believe said that to change from one to another you were supposed to
phase down one and start the other over a period of weeks.  That led to bad
times for those that needed the agonist badly as was my case.  Dr. Goetz felt
that he could substitute an equivalent dose of one drug for another without
ill effects.

In my case I was taking 30 mg of parlodel and in one day he stopped the
parlodel "cold turkey" and started I believe 3 mg per day of pramipexole.  Old
timers may remember  my hospitalization about 2 years ago to change drugs. I
was hospitalized because the drug was new and Dr. Goetz wanted to make the
transition under hospital conditions.  I presume he then did this formal study
and published it to document in the literature that what he did was safe and
save others who could not go without an agonist  during the transition
between drugs.

It worked well as far as the transition was concerned for me while other
people were coming into the hospital deteriorating when their doctors followed
the FDA guidelines..

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin