At 09:54 9-5-99 -0400, Walter Pfiester wrote:
>I tried this as an experiment.  I broke Sinemet 50/200 into two
>pieces.  It doesn't work, just results in OFF periods that are
>twice as long!
>
>Walt W2TQK 57/4
><mailto:[log in to unmask]>

WALT

It is basical rule that taking twice as much dopamine makes its effect
twice as strong and not twice as long. But in practice its effect is longer
though not twice as long. The exact effects don't depend  only on the
amount, but also on the phase of the illness.
A patient whose reactions are of the "on-off" kind, a certain level of
levadopa is necessary to get any effect at all. You didn't reach that level
with half
pills. If you had done another experiment by taking twice as much as your
normal dose, the most probable effect had been that you had indeed a longer
on period, but not twice as long.
When we take a dose there will be a building up of the leva-dopa level in
our brain followed by a coming down again of this level. The time that
theses both processes take is not dependent on the amount and will take if
other conditions are the same, always the same amount of time. However it
is easy to understand
visualizing both curves, that with a higher dose the total time in which
the curve is above the critical value that determines on or off, is longer.
Next to that unplaesant side-effects will tend to be heavier in the second
condition.

Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]