>Phil Tompkins wrote:
>
>> I have a question about why placebo surgery is done for tissue
>> transplants.  I think there is something odd about the reasoning
>> that is supposed to justify it.
>> placebo surgery.  "So to avoid the possibility that the experimental
>> surgery was simply causing a placebo effect, the doctors insisted
>> that their new study compare real surgery with implants against fake
>> surgery with no implants."
>>
>> I do not see how Dr. Johnson's statements justify placebo surgery for
>> tissue transplants.  The purpose of the tissue transplants is to
>> replace those cells which are missing due to the disease, so as to
>> re-introduce the function which the missing cells had.  The success
>> of the surgery ought to be measured by whether or not this purpose
>> was achieved.  Hugh Downs noted, "new cell growth has been seen only
>> in patients who got the actual cells."  How could it be otherwise?
>> How could one expect tissue growth from tissue which has not been
>> implanted?  How, then, can placebo "non-transplant" surgery indicate
>> whether or not the real transplants were successful?
>>
>> Phil Tompkins
>> Hoboken NJ
>> age 61/dx 1990

You may want to consult a book on experimental design, in any field, medical
or other.  It will explain the value of having a comparison (placebo) group.
Suppose that the existing cells were able to reproduce and thus create new
tissue.  A placebo group allows one to investigate that hypothesis.  The
rationale for that methodology was first explicated by Sir Ronald Fisher, a
British agronomist and statistican, about 80 years ago, and has been refined
since then.  It is the hallmark of rigorous research in any setting in which it
can be performed.  Often, it is not possible or feasible, but, as Dr. Timothy
Johnson said, it was possible in some cases.  Those patients who participated
did so because of their great concern for others.  Their unselfishness, in
their desire to contribute to the benifit of others whom they may never see, is
to be commended as true love for their fellow human beings.  Many of us may
someday benefit from their charitable service.
Bruce Rogers
U of N IA