I have a question about why placebo surgery is done for tissue
transplants.  I think there is something odd about the reasoning
that is supposed to justify it.

In the 20/20 TV program on PD transplant surgery, Dr. Timothy Johnson
noted that "drug studies have already proved that patients with
Parkinson's are very responsive to the placebo effect", apparently
implying that the placebo effect is less in most other diseases.

It would be useful to determine precisely why this is so.  Perhaps
having a progressively deteriorating condition for which there is no
cure is itself the source of a nocebo (negative placebo) effect.  If
the baseline is negative to begin with, then of course the placebo
effect would be greater.  However, this is not my main point.

In his next sentence, Dr. Johnson indicates that the great
responsiveness of PWPs to the placebo effect is the reason for the
placebo surgery.  "So to avoid the possibility that the experimental
surgery was simply causing a placebo effect, the doctors insisted
that their new study compare real surgery with implants against fake
surgery with no implants."

I do not see how Dr. Johnson's statements justify placebo surgery for
tissue transplants.  The purpose of the tissue transplants is to
replace those cells which are missing due to the disease, so as to
re-introduce the function which the missing cells had.  The success
of the surgery ought to be measured by whether or not this purpose
was achieved.  Hugh Downs noted, "new cell growth has been seen only
in patients who got the actual cells."  How could it be otherwise?
How could one expect tissue growth from tissue which has not been
implanted?  How, then, can placebo "non-transplant" surgery indicate
whether or not the real transplants were successful?

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990