The effects of PD and Sinemet on vision seems to vary widely from person to
person.  I have made several unusual observations in my case.

1. After taking a Sinemet tablet, my vision worsens temporarily. My ability
to read where there is less contrast between the print and the background
and/or where the print is relatively small decreases. I had suspected a
focus problem in which my pupil diameter widened thereby admitting more
light but decreasing my depth of field. I checked this by videotaping my
eyes from when a Sinemet 25/100 [not CR] was taken until I was fully "on".
(I placed  a reference marker strip [paper with 64 lines per inch grid]
just above each eye before the test. I read aloud from a page with lines of
random generated letters in decreasing point sizes. I continued reading
each line aloud using a forced decision two characters
beyond where I felt that I was merely guessing. After the Sinemet had me
"on" I viewed the tape. My reading ability became increasingly worse after
taking Sinemet, but, after a few minutes [six to ten minutes] improved,
going back to the pre-medication level and better. Forced decisions did not
produce
any surprises and confirmed that I was just guessing beyond where I was no
longer aware of being able to read. Frame by frame viewing of the tape and
counting pixels on a large screen TV revealed no
pupil diameter change.

2. A somewhat similar change occurs with a rapid change in atmospheric
pressure. My vision becomes worse with a rapid increase in atmospheric
pressure and improves with a rapid decrease in atmospheric pressure. I took
a "ride" a year ago in an altitude chamber. I had taken no PD medication
for more than 12 hours. I took a borrowed contrast sensitivity eye chart [a
ridiculously expensive chart with letters of uniform size which decrease is
print density from extreme black through grays to what I see as pure
white]-with me. As I went rapidly to a simulated 3500 feet I was able to
see two more letters than I had ever seen before. The extra two letters
disappeared  almost immediately after stopping the climbing simulation.  My
dexterity and smelling ability change with the change in pressure also.

Any explanation?

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road