Nita,
Has his doctor confirmed that this is iron-deficiency anemia? There are
different anemias, not all of which respond to iron. What medications is
he using?

1) normocytic anemia -- low hematocrit due to fewer blood cells;
sometimes due to decreased bone marrow; doesn't respond to iron
supplements. May be due to certain medications (i.e., benzidine,
chloramphenicol, antimicrobial drugs, anticonvulsants), even sometimes
hair dyes or aspirin

2) megaloblastic anemia / pernicious anemia -- usually results from
deficiency of B12 and/or folic acid; also by drugs or other conditions
that interfere with B12 or folate metabolism (i.e., methotrexate); also
by failure to produce certain stomach acids needed to metabolize B12.

3) microcytic anemia -- usually due to iron deficiency, also blood loss;
also from severe protein deficiency; intake of heavy metals such as
lead; and deficiencies of vitamin A, E, B6, or copper.

4) hemolytic anemia -- due to increased destruction of red blood cells;
may be caused by autoimmune disorders, defects in the membrane of the
red blood cell, artificial heart valves, vit. E deficiency.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD