Group -

Although I received the "real" surgery for the implantation of fetal cells
(not from humans but from pigs) I feel that I am in a position to offer an
opinion on "sham" procedures.

First, it is important to understand that the original 12 (which includes me)
involved in "Phase 1" studies were used to test the SAFETY aspects of having
cells from another species injected into our brains.  The possibility existed
that something could go horribly wrong.  In particular, the infection by (and
spreading of) an unknown virus was a real concern.  So far that fear has not
been realized.  But blood work is still performed every 90 days.  There was
so much concern over this that all research on xenotransplants was banned in
Great Britain for several years.  That ban has only recently been lifted.

"Phase 2" studies (which include "sham" surgeries) could only begin after the
scientists were reasonably sure there were no problems with the "Phase 1"
group.

As it is well known that the placebo-effect can be quite powerful,
researchers had to devise a system which would absolutely prove or disprove
that a particular therapy had efficacy.  So far, the best they've come up
with is a "control group" where half the patients have the "real" surgery
while the other half get a "sham" operation.

Admittedly, this sounds very cruel.  But if anyone has a better system,
please speak up!  And let's not forget, these procedures are done with a
small number of  volunteers who are fully informed as to what they're getting
into.  NO one is dragged into the operating room against their will.  And NO
promises are made, either.

I have heard some nonsense about lawsuits being brought by those parties who
did not have the "real" operation.  I can't think of a better way to delay
the potential availability of this therapy to the general public.

A word on the actual drilling.  You don't feel a thing even though you are
awake!  You can expect a nasty headache for several days after the surgery.
In a word; it's just not all that bad.  I'd rather have this operation than
face dental surgery; AND I'VE HAD BOTH!

Lastly, as I understand it, those who did not have the "real" surgery retain
the option of having the operation re-done at the end of the study period.
Check on this carefully before you agree to the procedure.

For those new list members who have not read the diary of my experiences with
xenotransplant surgery: Feel free to request a copy by E-Mail.  Write
directly to me, not the ListServe.  It will be sent as an attached ".TXT"
file.

Jim Finn