Lanier Maddux wrote:

> I am surprised that there have not been comments from list members on
> the segment about the so-called "SHAM SURGERY".  But as far as the content of the program, I thought it was probably
> good information to put out. I have no opinion as to whether that type
> of medical research should be done, That is a tough question for more
> learned people than I to debate.
> One more comment. Don't they have a more high-tech way of drilling than
> to use a 100 year old invention, a  brace and bit?

I believe the instrument is power-driven, like a dentist's drill. As
for the fake transplants, any formal therapeutic trial to be credible
must eliminate the placebo effect, which is virtually universal in
human subjects. To compensate for the risk and inconvenience of sham
therapy in either drug or surgery trials, placebo subjects are always
offered the real thing after the trial is finished, if they want it.
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694