I am ambivalent about the concept of  "sham" surgery as a research tool.
 It is probably not absolutely necessary to obtain scientifically sound
research results.  On the other hand, in the real world of late 1990's
U.S. government funded scientific research it is the only way the NIH is
prepared to spend millions of dollars of  "our" money to learn more
about a procedure that holds tremendous promise for millions of people
with severe Parkinson's.  Given this situation, those participants who
agreed to such a radical technique, have little choice but to frown and
bear it.

The worst problem has been a delicate ethical one.  Participants who had
the sham surgery were told they could receive the real one after 12
months.  The scientists who reviewed the data, apparently,  told NIH
that the results were not conclusive for many months and the NIH would
not allow these real surgeries to be performed in the agreed upon time
period.  This was an awful thing to do to people whose PD was severe
enough that they signed up for the study in the first place knowing that
every day counts when you are suffering from a progressive disease.

It turns out that the results of the study were that, on average, there
was no measureable benefit for PWPs above the age of 60.  Was the NIH
right in denying real surgeries with their inherent risk and minimal
prospects for improvement for this subset of people?  Probably not.

There is a side "benefit" to this research and the sham surgery
procedure.  Results showed that PWPs who received the sham surgery had a
significant placebo effect for lasting as long as one year after
surgery.  Placebos work!  At least to a certain degree.

Does this mean that we are all fools - easily fooled by fake procedures
and sugar pills?  So eager for a cure and desirous of pleasing authority
figures that we intentionally deny our own symptoms in order to
rationalize all we've been through?  Maybe.

On the other hand, it does say a great deal about the human will and the
incredible part that the mind plays in the health of the body.  The PWPs
who received sham surgeries IMPROVED.  There symptoms were reduced.
They convinced their bodies, albeit subconsciously, that they were
significantly better as a result of the operation and so they felt
better.  This is REAL.  There is incredible unrealized potential in the
capacity of the human mind to improve a desperate physical condition.
We have nearly unlimited resources deep in our own brains and bodies to
heal ourselves.  Perhaps this will be the ultimate legacy of this
notorious "sham" surgery.

The next time someone tells you that all this warm fuzzy "positive
thinking" stuff that they do in support groups and with therapists is a
bunch of  whooey consider the benefits of a little fake surgery.