Jeff, Joan and Jane,
Congrat's to all of you for your courageous decision, I wish you the best
your long-term recovery and I cheer your remarks, which help put the issue of
neurosurgery in clearer perspective. I had 2--bilateral, "staged", i.e.6
months apart--pallidotomies and I can relate to  a lot of your comments.
Based on a lot of media reports which I chose believe  before my first pall.,
 I was expecting to dance out of the operating room, straight to the tennis
court.  Instead, I remember feeling vaguely like I had been hit by a freight
train.  And although I returned to work after a week, that was a mistake
because it took a month before I really regained my strength.  Some of my
improvements were immediate while others showed up weeks and months
later--and beyond that.  Although there were some difficult and unpleasant
complications immediately after the second, I'm very pleased with the results
which, knock on wood, are still holding steady today (the pall's were done in
''96).  And, like you say, Jane, there are others who have had very different
experiences.  I'm hopeful and happy for all of you.
Janre, pardon my ditrectnress and my ignorance, but is a dead battery
post-DBS comparable to changing a flashlight battery or is it more like
changing a car battery?
Marty Polonsky