J Neurol 1998 Jan;245(1):14-20

Drug-naive patients with Parkinson's disease in Hoehn and Yahr stages I and
II show a bilateral decrease in striatal dopamine transporters as revealed
by [123I]beta-CIT SPECT.

Tissingh G, Bergmans P, Booij J, Winogrodzka A, van Royen EA, Stoof JC,
Wolters EC
Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Department of Neurology,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Ten healthy subjects and 16 patients with early Parkinson's disease (PD)
were examined with single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and
[123I]beta-CIT, a ligand for the dopamine (DA) transporter. Only drug-naive
patients were examined since the expression of and binding to DA
transporters may be influenced by dopaminergic medication. The main finding
was a significant reduction in [123I]beta-CIT binding in the ipsi- and
contralateral striatal regions, especially in the putamen, which showed a
mean reduction of 65% of the control mean. Discriminant function analysis of
the putaminal [123I]beta-CIT binding measures classified 100% of the cases
in the correct group. Disease severity correlated negatively and highly
significantly with the binding measures. Tremor ratings did not correlate
with the SPECT measures, whereas rigidity, and to a lesser extent
bradykinesia, did. Patients with unilateral PD showed a bilateral loss of
striatal DA transporters. Our findings indicate that with [123I]beta-CIT
SPECT it is possible to diagnose PD in subjects with very mild symptoms and
signs. Moreover, finding a bilateral loss of striatal DA transporters in
patients with unilateral PD also suggests that it may be possible to
identify subjects in the preclinical phase of the disease.

PMID: 9457623, UI: 98118967