J Nucl Med 1998 Jul;39(7):1143-8

Iodine-123-N-omega-fluoropropyl-2beta-carbomethoxy-3beta-(4-iod
ophenyl)tropane SPECT in healthy controls and early-stage, drug-naive
Parkinson's disease.

Tissingh G, Booij J, Bergmans P, Winogrodzka A, Janssen AG, van Royen EA,
Stoof JC, Wolters EC
Graduate School for Neurosciences, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

The aims of this study were to investigate whether the loss of striatal
dopamine transporters in early and drug-naive patients with Parkinson's
disease could be demonstrated by means of
123I-N-omega-fluoropropyl-2beta-carbomethoxy-3beta-(4-iodoph enyl)tropane
(123I-FP-CIT) SPECT in a 1-day protocol and whether the SPECT measures were
correlated with disease severity. METHODS: Twenty-one early-stage and
drug-naive Parkinson's disease patients (age range 42-73 yr; mean age 55.5
yr) and 14 healthy controls (age range 28-83 yr; mean age 53.6 yr) were
examined. SPECT image acquisition was always performed at 3 hr
postinjection. The ratio of specific to nonspecific striatal 123I-FP-CIT
binding was used as the outcome measure. RESULTS: All striatal 123I-FP-CIT
ratios were significantly lower in the Parkinson's disease group compared to
those in the control group. The mean reduction in the putamen was 57% of the
control mean, and that in the caudate nucleus was 29% of the control mean.
Patients with unilateral Parkinson's disease showed a bilateral loss of
striatal 123I-FP-CIT binding. Discriminant function analysis, using the
123I-FP-CIT SPECT data of the ipsilateral and contralateral putamen,
predicted group membership in all cases; the contralateral putamen accounted
for the greatest difference between the Parkinson's disease patients and the
controls. In the control group, a clear decline in 123I-FP-CIT binding was
found with aging, amounting to 9.6%/decade. Unexpectedly, in the Parkinson's
disease group, regression analysis revealed that neither severity of disease
nor age accounted for a significant part of the variance in striatal SPECT
measures. CONCLUSION: Our findings indicate that 123I-FP-CIT SPECT is a
reliable method to discriminate between early, drug-naive Parkinson's
disease patients and healthy controls and to identify patients in the
preclinical phase of Parkinson's disease. Possibly due to the relatively
homogeneous group of Parkinson's disease patients and the use of a
suboptimal outcome measure, no significant correlations were found between
striatal 123I-FP-CIT binding ratios and disease severity, such as were
established earlier with 123I-beta-CIT. Further research is necessary to
interpret these findings.

PMID: 9669384, UI: 98332047