J Nucl Med 1998 Nov;39(11):1879-84

Imaging of dopamine transporters with iodine-123-FP-CIT SPECT in healthy
controls and patients with Parkinson's disease.

Booij J, Habraken JB, Bergmans P, Tissingh G, Winogrodzka A, Wolters EC,
Janssen AG, Stoof JC, van Royen EA
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Several SPECT studies reported decreased striatal
123I-N-omega-fluoropropyl-2beta-carbomethoxy-3beta-(4-iodoph enyl)nortropane
([123I]FP-CIT) binding in patients with Parkinson's disease. For application
in routine clinical studies, information on the reliability and
reproducibility of the [123I]FP-CIT SPECT technique is critical. This study
reports on the reliability and reproducibility of [I23I]FP-CIT SPECT in
healthy control subjects and patients with Parkinson's disease using two
different analysis protocols: the conventional region of interest (ROI)
protocol and a newly developed, fully automatic, operator-independent volume
of interest (VOI) protocol. METHODS: We performed repeated [123I]FP-CIT
SPECT scans in 6 healthy control subjects and 10 patients with Parkinson's
disease to measure scan-to-scan variations. Scintigraphic data were analyzed
3 hr after injection of the radiotracer. RESULTS: In controls, the mean
test/retest for the ratio of the striatal-to-nonspecific [123I]FP-CIT uptake
were (3.79 +/- 0.67/3.82 +/- 0.74) and (4.16 +/- 0.70/4.08 +/- 0.97) for the
ROI and VOI technique, respectively. No significant differences were
measured between test/retest studies. The mean test/retest variability for
the ROI technique was low (7.25%) with excellent reliability (rho = 0.99).
In addition, the mean test/retest variability for the VOI technique was also
low (7.47%) with very high reliability (rho = 0.95). In Parkinson's disease
patients, we found mean test/retest for the striatal-to-nonspecific
[123I]FP-CIT ratio of (1.78 +/- 0.23/1.79 +/- 0.25) and (1.83 +/- 0.31/1.85
+/- 0.35) using the ROI and VOI technique, respectively. Also in patients,
these results did not differ significantly between test/retest studies. The
mean test/retest variability for the ROI technique was low (7.90%) with
excellent reliability (rho = 1.00). In addition, the mean test/retest
variability for the VOI technique was also low (7.36%) with high reliability
(rho = 0.96). CONCLUSION: Reliable and reproducible results were obtained
with the ROI, as well as the VOI technique, for the analysis of striatal
dopamine transporters with [123I]FP-CIT SPECT in healthy controls and
Parkinson's disease patients. The use of an operator-independent method will
be a great advantage in routine clinical studies.

PMID: 9829575, UI: 99045040