J Nucl Med 1999 May;40(5):753-61

One-day protocol for imaging of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway in
Parkinson's disease by [123I]FPCIT SPECT.

Booij J, Hemelaar TG, Speelman JD, de Bruin K, Janssen AG, van Royen EA
Graduate School of Neurosciences, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Academic
Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Parkinson's disease is characterized by degeneration of dopaminergic
neurons, resulting in loss of dopamine transporters in the striatum.
Recently, the tracer
1231-N-omega-fluoropropyl-2beta-carbomethoxy-3beta-(4-iodophenyl)nortropane
(FPCIT) was developed for imaging dopamine transporters with SPECT. The
purpose of this study was to develop an [123I]FPCIT SPECT protocol for
routine clinical studies. METHODS: We examined the time course of
[123I]FPCIT binding to dopamine transporters in 10 healthy volunteers and 19
patients with Parkinson's disease. RESULTS: We found that the time of peak
specific striatal [123I]FPCIT binding was highly varied among subjects, but
specific binding peaked in all controls and patients within 3 h
postinjection. Between 3 and 6 h, the ratio of specific-to-nonspecific
striatal [123I]FPCIT binding was stable in both groups, although, as
expected, it was significantly lower in patients. In the patients,
[123I]FPCIT binding in the putamen was lower than in the caudate nucleus,
and contralateral striatal binding was significantly lower than ipsilateral
striatal binding. The subgroup of patients with hemi-Parkinson's disease
showed loss of striatal dopamine transporters, even on the ipsilateral side.
CONCLUSION: For routine clinical [123I]FPCIT SPECT studies, we recommend
imaging at a single time point, between 3 and 6 h postinjection, and using a
tissue ratio as the outcome measure. The [123I]FPCIT SPECT technique is
sensitive enough to distinguish control subjects from patients with
Parkinson's disease, even at an early stage of the disease.

PMID: 10319746, UI: 99251464