I hate to admit it, but I remember this guy...

May 8, 1999

Actor Dirk Bogarde Dies at 78

LONDON (AP) - Sir Dirk Bogarde, the British actor who starred in more
than 70 films and captured the hearts of many women in the 1950s, died
Saturday, his nephew said. He was 78.

The British film star, who achieved his greatest fame in ``Death in
Venice,'' died of a heart attack at his London home, said Brock Van den
Bogaerde. He suffered a damaging stroke in 1996 and had been under
24-hour nursing care since last May.

In his books, Bogarde described himself as a solitary figure with a
``hermit crab syndrome.''

After being diagnosed with PARKINSON'S Disease in 1986, he reluctantly
returned to England, where he became an enthusiastic supporter of
voluntary euthanasia.

The actor was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1992.

Copyright © 1999 The Associated Press.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^