A fellow PWP and I have been experimenting with some bean powder recently.
However, they are NOT fava beans. Fred gets his beans from a company in
Utah (Sabinsa Corp., 801-465-8400), which describes the powder as "Mucuna
Pruriens Extract 15%"  He has taken it by incorporating it into a
banana/milk mixture in his blender (mutes the not-so-pleasant taste).  He
has also - his wife, actually! - baked it into a great tasting cake!  I
have taken his powder both ways, and find that my reaction to it is very
much like it is when I pop a pill, but with a great taste!

I got some similar stuff, also mucuna, from the Bazaar of India Imports in
Berkley (1-800-261-7662). It is called "Kapi-Kacchu" which I understand is
the Indian term (or some dialect's term) for the same stuff as Fred gets,
but processed differently.  Mixed in hot water (which helps it dissolve),
it is the foulest, vilest, most insipid and up-chucking inducing substance
I have ever experienced.  But it works!  Within minutes I feel a relaxing
"wave" envelope my body, my mind is "happier", my coordination improves
greatly, and I just begin feeling better all around.

I have also used this stuff with the banana drink, and it works well, tho
not as dramatically as with hot water - but it doesn't stimulate the
upchuck nerve-endings!

Fred and I are working on other mediums for this stuff.  If you are
interested in learning of our explorations, just stay in touch.

Finally, in answer to the docs who say you would have to take so many beans
etc., I think that is just not true, at least not for the mucuna beans.  My
doc, who is good, says it delivers dopa just as pills do, you just have far
less control than you have when you pop a pill.  And, he opines (not
scientifically proven yet) that one taking the bean stuff will eventually
endure the same kind of involuntary movement that is caused by the drug. He
also points out that it is not time-released!

Finally, if you are paying full cost for your drugs, this may be a way to
save some money.  While it is difficult to measure just how much of these
substances might be optimum for you, a pound of the Kapi-Kacchu, delivered
UPS, is around $18 I believe.  Most days I do a heaping teaspoon and
one-half late afternoon, and feel lots better for the rest of the day when
I do.  I also cut back one-fourth to one-half on the Sinemet.  Fred has
also cut back on his medication, tho I don't know by how much.

                                Bob Dolezal

PS  Oh, yes, flatulence may occur.  Fred has noticed this more than I have
(perhaps he is taking more - perhaps I am noticing it less!)  In any event,
one consequence of taking the bean is that you may not be able to enjoy a
lengthy tete-a-tete at cocktail parties without an occasional "Excuse me!"
But what the heck, that's a small price to pay!