Hello list members ---
I've been watching the amount of information on this list since
I signed on 3 weeks ago --- I have difficulty keeping up with
the quantity and quality of the posts. And, Barbara, I thank you for
your warm welcome to me and especially your efforts in managing this list.

My dad, Abe, is the PWP.  He lives in Boca Raton, Florida, and
I am in Toronto.  Dad, 80 was diagnosed about 2 years ago and has
been taking Sinemet for about a year and a half.

I have a ton of comments and questions but had best take things slowly.
I am checking out web sites and have spoken with the folks at the
Parkinson's Foundation in Miami.  I visited with Sandie Jones, the
nurse at the Parkinson Foundation of Canada.  Sandie is indeed a
treasure.  She helped me really understand how destructive even a little
stress can be to a PWP.  In educating myself as to the symptomatology
I am becoming more understanding.  I become angry at the changes taking
place in Dad and try not to let it out to him.  It's not anger at
him I know, its the process.  Education is helping to dispell this anger,
leading to understanding, compassion, more love and greater acceptance.

Dad lives alone, is a widower since Mom died from Cancer 12 years ago.
He and I approach things differently.  He is reticent almost to the
point of non communication about how he feels, physically and definitely
emotionally.  I ask him about things to help him --- and I definitely
can help if I know what's going on --- and he does not always tell the
truth.  For example, he says he is exercising and I know he is not.

As Caregivers, there is the choice:  Do you push them or Do you leave them
alone and just try to help them be happy in what they want to do?  There
is no right answer, I think, it's achieving a balance, just
as it is with parenting.

I am concerned about:
- Greatly decreased energy
- Falls asleep much more often --- he gets enough sleep at night
        but falls asleep too often during the day
- Greatly decreased physical strength
- His upper arms have almost caved in

My first questions to this list are:
-  He is seeing a neurologist in Boca, and although this might be
an excellent neurologist, I don't know how experienced he is with PD.
I am considering flying down to take him to the center in Fort
Lauderdale or West Palm.  Any comments?  Any recommendations?
Dad could get there by himself but I want to find out what they say.
Any good MDs in the Boca area?

- I found great exercise programs here in Toronto.  Does anyone know
any programs in the Boca Raton area?

- I am investigating the Lee Silverman Voice System for PWPs as Dad's voice
has become hoarse.  Any comments?  Experiences?

Thanks for being there and See you online!

 - Marilyn -

  Marilyn Gang       [log in to unmask]      Toronto, Ontario, Canada