-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

The following column appeared on page A23 of the May 19 edition of the
Philadelphia Inquirer:

How Parkinson's has devastated once-dynamic Muhammad Ali

By Claude Lewis

Recently, I tuned in to a television program, Touched by an Angel, that
I seldom watch. The attraction to the Sunday evening show was a cameo
appearance by former world heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali.
Ali's role was to convey a positive message to a confused youngster. But
I was hardly prepared for how much Ali's physical condition had eroded.
He has become a tragic figure.

Though it wasn't meant to happen, he came off as an extremely depressed
version of his former self. Gone was every scintilla of the grace and
confidence that once made him so appealing. During his recent
performance, each word was little more than a grunt that had to be
translated or made intelligible by Della Reese, one of the show's stars.

Ali's face seemed transfixed by an involuntary and inappropriate smile.
He stood stone-still, except for his arms that trembled ceaselessly. It
was a sad experience, made worse, I suppose, by the fact that I knew him
well when he was a healthy man. It hurt to see him in such a condition.

Ali was once a charming, exuberant fighter who entertained us as much by
his banter outside the ring as by his powerful and fluid motions inside
of it. Now, he's severly debilitated by Parkinson's disease.

Years back, he was a colorful and marvelous man, a great fighter and one
of the most loved athletes in the world. Once, when I visited Kenya, a
Masai woman walked down a road and stopped at my car. She spoke no
English, but when someone told her in her native language that I was a
visitor from America, she offered her hand to me along with the two
words she knew about America: Muhammad Ali.

On another trip to a small town in Israel, when people learned that I
had written a biography of Ali, about 60 boys and girls lined up to
shake my hand simply because I knew him.

Ali was easily the best-known and most respected athlete in the world.
His image was good for boxing, and it was good for America, too. He was
such a dominant force that his fights transformed a notorious sport into
a festive celebration. Thousands who had no interest in boxing scrambled
to see and hear him. Ali proved that fighters could be articulate,
sensitive and intelligent. His demeanor both in and out of the ring won
a new respectability for boxers (which lasted until Mike Tyson came
along). Ali became a global figure thrust into international politics.

He playfully dubbed himself "The Greatest." Millions admired his good
looks and his great sense of humor. Some who despised his politics and
the religion of Islam, grudgingly respected him for his conscience and
commitment to his beliefs. They marveled that a young man was willing to
forfeit his boxing title and millions in earnings at the peak of his
career.

A Supreme Court decision in his favor freed him from much of the disdain
people aimed at him. Before retiring from boxing, he won the heavyweight
championship three times. Not long afterward, the world learned he was
suffering from Parkinson's.

Some time ago, I arranged to meet Ali in California, but he was unable
to keep the date straight in his mind. It is painful for me to know that
Ali has gone so deep into a shell, emerging only occasionally to try to
share his intelligence, charm, humility and humor.

Seeing him the other night on television brought me to tears. There he
stood, mumbling and moving mechanically, trying to smile past his
illness to help illuminate a small boy's world.

Parkinson's, for which there is no cure, has stricken more than a
million Americans. Each year, 50,000 new cases are diagnosed. I have
known, somewhat vaguely, how disheartening that illness can be, but it
took Ali's recent appearance to show me the consequences the disease can
impose on its victims.

To have known him from the time he was 17, when he was articulate and
healthy, robust and a generously skilled fighter, and to see him now,
are stunning blows to the solar plexus, much like the ones he cleanly
delivered to so many of his opponents in the ring.

--------
Claude Lewis' column appears every other Wednesday. His e-mail address
is [log in to unmask]

--------
This article cn be found on the web at:
http://www.phillynews.com/inquirer/99/May/19/opinion/LEWIS19.htm