-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

The following appeared as part of a larger article by Andy Newman on
page B6 of the May 20 edition of the New York Times

Columbia University

"On a bright sunny day, I would invite you to listen and share in the
lessons learned on a trip my family and I took to visit my daughter in
central Africa," said George Rupp, the Columbia president, cutting short
his remarks amid frequent umbrella openings and closings. "On a not so
bright and sunny day, I invite you to visit Columbia's Web site after
this ceremony and meditate thoughtfully on the full text of my speech."

Indeed, Columbia's main lawn was thick with sodden confetti as 9,200
students received degrees Wednesday. Among those awarded honorary
degrees were the linguist Noam Chomsky, the musician Tito Puente, the
Broadway director Julie Taymor and Muhammad Ali, who was escorted to the
stage by David Stern, the N.B.A.

Commissioner and Columbia trustee.

Ali was listed in the commencement program simply as "The Greatest."
After the ceremony, Ali's wife, Lonnie, acknowledged that her husband
had accepted the honor with characteristic bravado. "When we first got
the call, I was blown away because of Columbia's prestige.

"Muhammad was also very impressed," she added, smiling, "but not as
impressed as I."