Edmond Safra: Giant of Global Private Banking

Some 50 years after he first tried his hand in the world of finance, Edmond
J. Safra is more than ever the world's "doyen of private banking." As
Honorary Chairman of Republic New York Corporation and Republic National
Bank of New York, and as Chairman of Safra Republic Holdings S.A., Safra is
one of the major leaders of international private banking. As a sign of
confidence in the expanding Israeli economy, Republic recently opened an
office in Tel Aviv.

Edmond Safra created a banking empire based on the tradition established by
his family, especially his father Jacob, whose portrait is found in all of
his offices. A scion of the famed Safra banking family, whose financial
undertakings began in the city of Aleppo, Syria, a century and a half ago,
Edmond Safra created a truly international banking empire, based on the
tradition established by his family, especially his father, Jacob.

Born in Beirut in 1932, Safra left home at the age of sixteen for his
initiation into international finance. Over the years, he has studied trade
and markets in Europe, assisted in the re-establishment of the Safra empire
in Sao Paulo, Brazil (which included the setting up of Banco Safra S.A. now
run by brothers Joseph and Moise), founded banking establishments in Geneva
and New York and parlayed his initial capital of some million into billions.

Known for his personal integrity and honesty, Edmond Safra has built one of
the world's safest banking institutions, with a very solid financial basis
and a policy of prudence and personal service to the client. His banking
empire is composed of two groups.

The American-style Republic National Bank of New York, wholly owned by
Republic New York Corporation, operates a consumer bank branch network in
the Greater New York City area and in South Florida, and engages in
domestic and international private banking. It also acts as a dealer in
high-quality bonds, precious metals, foreign exchange and interest rate
swaps and other derivatives, in North and South America, Europe and the
U.K., the Middle East, the Far East and Australia.

Safra Republic Holdings based in Luxembourg, specializes in Swiss style
private banking through its six subsidiaries in Europe, of which Republic
National Bank (Suisse) is the largest. RNB (Suisse) offers a comprehensive
range of services and investment tools through its branches in Switzerland,
 Guernsey and Gibraltar and its offices in Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hong
Kong, Istanbul, London and most recently Tel Aviv.

In addition to being a banking giant, Safra is also a major philanthropist.
Both he and his wife, Lily, actively support humanitarian, artistic and
environmental causes, and are involved with a number of academic
institutions. Safra established the International Foundation for Sephardic
Education, which has awarded more than 10,000 grants to needy students. In
June 1998, Safra received an Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy from the
Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Looking to the future, Safra is confident. "Recently, I celebrated fifty
years in the banking sector. I used to say I wanted to build banks that
would last a thousand years. Now, I would like my banks to last ten
thousand years. All my banks have top notch managers at all levels. And
with my brothers, who are remarkable bankers following the same principles,
as well as with my nephews, the necessary continuity will always be granted."

By Gail Lichtman Israel - Fifty years of finance & industry
http://www.jpost.co.il/com/Finance/safra.html

the above report was published in 1998?

joao paulo's message
says that the republic bank has been sold due to pd...?

which puts a different 'spin' on Safra's words above:
"...the necessary continuity will always be granted"

another reminder
that we are not driving this bus
imho

janet

janet paterson   52 now 41 dx 37 onset  [log in to unmask]
613-256-8340   PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a  new  voice  <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>