On 18 May 99 at 9:57, janet paterson wrote:

SNIP
> i'm curious about how many of us don't use the wwweb...
> and why...
>
> helen, you have access to both
> an e-mail software program and a wwweb browser software program
> since they are combined in the aol 'package' ...
>
> i wonder how many of us have only an e-mail program and no wwweb browser?
>
> e.g.
> if i type in the wwweb address of the PIEnet list subscription instructions
> here:
> <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/subs/index.html>
> how many of us can 'read' it as a wwweb site address?
> = a URL ? [nerdese for Universal Resource Locator]
> = a hyper-link ?
> = is it 'clickable' ?
>
> = can you double-click on it with your mouse and thus 'jump' directly to it ?
>
> or
>
> would you have to "copy and paste" the address
> from your e-mail program to your wwweb browser program
> before being able to access it?
>
> i use eudora lite as my e-mail program
> and it recognizes every URL address as a hyper-link;
> if i double-click on the URL with my mouse,
> eudora starts up my netscape web browser automatically
>
> just curious, is all

Janet, I have Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Opera, AOL, and
Sprynet Mosaic on my computer.  (they are all browsers)

I opt to use Opera since it is easily the fastest (uses the least
amount of computer resources) and also it is the only browser that
will run reliably on a 386.  Our group have several 386 computers
happily accessing the wwweb.

I use the shareware e-mail program Pegasus for much the same reasons.
(low overhead, very stable and reliable)

Naturally, with Opera as default browser, double clicking any
hyperlink starts the browser and takes you there.

(I forgot to mention the basic platform is Windows 3.1)

All the best ................. Murray