Bruce G. Rogers wrote:

> You may want to consult a book on experimental design, in any
> field, medical or other.  It will explain the value of having a
> comparison (placebo) group.  It is the hallmark of rigorous
> research in any setting in which it can be performed.

Will do, as I'm getting quite interested in this subject.

In fact, I am getting curious about the placebo effect itself.  In
mainstream research methodology it seems that the placebo effect is
treated as a big nuisance that has to be cancelled out. Researchers
do double-blind studies to identify the component of a result that is
NOT due to the placebo effect.  If the placebo effect is so powerful
and omnipresent, just what are its capabilities and limitations
anyway, and how can we harness it and use it to our advantage??

> Those patients who participated did so because of their great
> concern for others.  Their unselfishness, in their desire to
> contribute to the benifit of others whom they may never see, is to
> be commended as true love for their fellow human beings.  Many of
> us may someday benefit from their charitable service.

Well said.  Also I don't recall seeing anything you wrote here
before. Welcome.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 671/dx 1990