Today's (Sunday May 16) New York Times contains part 1 of 2 of a long
expose article (two full pages) on fees paid by drug companies to
physicians to conduct clinical trials or to refer patients to
clinical trials, and cites abuses which this practice has led to or
could lead to.  A few points raised by the article are:

Cost limits due to managed care have stimulated drug companies to
increase their product lines as a way of increasing profits.
Clinical trials conducted by universities, as was done in the past,
were inadequate to handle the volume of new drugs to be tested.
Thus practicing physicians have been enrolled to obtain test
subjects and do the testing.

A conflict of interest has thereby been created between service to
the patient and service to the drug companies.  This has resulted in
some inclusion in drug studies of inappropriate patients, and
in conduct of trials by physicians who did not have expertise in the
area of study.

There is no mention in the article of Parkinson's disease.  However,
I have seen on the internet several web pages of practicing
neurologists who do clinical trials, and I would assume some
involvement.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990