Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> I think I may have misunderstood your initial point.

I certainly haven't been clear.

Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> As I said before however in the final analysis the value of the
> procedure has to be evaluated on the basis of  substantial clinical
> improvement (or slowed deterioration) compared to a placebo.
> Nothing else justifies the risks of that procedure. (fetal
> transplant) as a regular treatment for PD.

I recognize the power of placebos, but I wonder if there is a way
around having to use placebo surgery.

It would be silly to require placebo surgery to evaluate hand
transplants or cosmetic surgery, because the results are right in
front of our faces. (Ken Becker routine needed here!)

PET scans were used following the fetal tissue transplants to record
any increases in dopamine activity.  In the not too distant future
there may well be advances in imaging techniques that allow us a form
of visual access by which we will see whether dopamine activity is
due to the transplanted tissue itself.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990