Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:49:01 -0300
From: Joao Paulo Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Acupuncture - it isn't the acupuncture that does it

Hi Paul,

Paul Mote wrote:

> If you go to The Parkinsons Treatment Centers website
> <http://www.pdtreatment.com> you will find that it isn't the acupuncture
> that does it. They have found that it is the Tuina (which predates
> acupuncture, I believe) which is the key.
> Paul

I went to this site and found the notes below :

                      Question: Tuina?

                      Answer: A most frequently asked question regards the
use of Tuina. "Why bother?" is the usual
                      phrasing. Some acupuncturists insist that the Tuina
technique which is recommended in the
                      Handbook cannot be necessary, and that all that is
necessary is to get the Qi going. And it would
                      be great if the Tuina weren't necessary. However, it
seems that the retained injury is the thing
                      which, over time, eventually blocks the Qi. The Qi
didn't stop flowing overnight, it stopped flowing
                      gradually, over years, in response to the blockage. If
you merely get Qi moving, and don't remove
                      the blockage, the Qi will clog up again. We have tried
several times to treat Parkinson's without
                      doing the Tuina. In all but one case the results did
not last, and the patients had to return every
                      week to maintain the temporary results. In the
excepting case, the patient had a severe worsening
                      of symptoms which lasted for months, and only began to
subside when we did the Tuina.

                      We have also tried the opposite, doing only Tuina and
no acupuncture. (Two patients were
                      severely needlephobic; this is not uncommon with
Parkinson's, as the disturbing, retrograde Qi is
                      enhanced by needling. The other "Tuina only" patient
had such violent dyslinesia that we could not
                      risk using needles.) The patients who received Tuina
only seem to be making full recovery, but
                      more slowly than the patients who received both. It
would be great if the Tuina weren't necessary,
                      but at this point we must conclude that it is.

                      We've already heard through the grapevine of L.Ac.s
who are telling their patients "I'm doing the
                      acupuncture technique from the Parkinson's Disease
Treatment Center, and the Tuina isn't
                      necessary!" These L.Ac.s aren't getting any results,
and people wonder why. Please don't add to
                      this situation...

                      Question:  Herbs?

                      Answer: Also, the blockage does not seem to respond to
Blood Stagnation herbs. Which makes
                      sense, if you consider that Blood Stagnation should
yield "fixed, stabbing pain", and the injury in this
                      case is numb, dormant, and painless. It may be that
the injury involves twisted fascia, tensed
                      micro-bundles, blocked memory, or who knows what. At
this point we are not going to squabble
                      over what is physiologically! mentally/emotionally
going on; we refer to the injury as an "energetic
                      blockage". We feel that the great thing here is to
show that we can possibly provide a protocol
                      which will allow people to recover from Parkinson's.
The sooner the better. After all, this is one
                      devastating illness. Let the folks in the labs at NIH
worry at a later date about which tissues,
                      electrons or thought processes are specifically
involved. Our job at this point, as we see it, is to
                      discover what works and begin the job of healing.

Updated 4/28/1999

Cheers ,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+