Dear Jennifer,
Your questions are very good ones, and you're right to ask them. It's
usually not a good idea to generalize about nutrient supplements, as
some that are necessary for one person could be harmful to another.  I
advise you to ask your doctor if there is any reason why you should NOT
take a supplement.

Jennifer Smith wrote:

> Do multi vitamins really help?

People with PD often change the kinds or amount of food they eat,
usually not for the better. If this is the case, vitamin supplements
should help. Food is always the first choice, though. A vitamin
supplement will not provide phytochemicals, flavonoids, fiber, etc., in
the proportions provided in food, which (not surprisingly) is the best
proportion and amount for optimal absorption and utilization.

> And are the ones that
> you take 3 times a day better or more effective than the ones you take
> once a day.

Taking vitamin supplements in divided doses is best for absorption,
especially in the case of calcium. The body can only absorb small
amounts of calcium at a time. However, many people with PD hate taking
more pills, so I often recommend a once-daily brand like One-A-Day or
Centrum (if you're over age 50 and not anemic, it's best to avoid those
with iron; choose Centrum Silver, etc. instead). You'll most likely need
additional supplements of calcium and magnesium, though, as a single
pill is too small to provide a day's worth of these minerals.

> But the biggest problem is lack of
> energy and I wonder if I could bolster that with supplements.

It's very doubtful that vitamins will increase your energy. Only in the
case of frank deficiency will supplements make you feel more energetic.
Fatigue, lack of energy, and apathy are very common in PD, but
unfortunately this is not usually helped by taking vitamins. The reason
for taking vitamins is because people with PD often aren't getting
enough of the nutrients they need in their daily meals, and therefore
are at risk for malnutrition.

Good for you for asking questions!

Best regards,
Kathrynne