-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Joao Paulo Carvalho
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 1999 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Acupuncture ??

Hi list members ,

Does acupuncture really work ??

  CLINICAL HYPOTHESES

  Primary Parkinson's Disease: The Use of Tuina and
  Acupuncture in Accord With an Evolving
  Hypothesis of Its Cause from the Perspective of
  Chinese Traditional Medicine

  Janice Walton-Hadlock
  Parkinson's Disease Treatment Center
  Santa Cruz, California U.S.A. 95060

  Abstract: The author presents a
  hypothesis based on acupuncture channel
  theory regarding the cause of Parkinson's
  Disease (PD). Following clinical
  experience with PD patients suggesting a
  similar history of energetic trauma, a
  preliminary observation was conducted to
  investigate its prevalence in subjects with
  PD and in non-PD controls. A system of
  Yin-type Tuina, termed FSR (forceless
  spontaneous release), was used to locate
  and assess the injury. Results indicated
  that all observed PD subjects and only
  one of the control subjects shared such
  similar injury. The PD subjects were then
  treated with a combination of FSR and
  acupuncture, resulting in various degrees
  of relief from their symptoms, (e.g,
  tremor, rigidity, decreased dyskinesia;
  improved balance, circulation) regardless
  of the stage of the disease, and in several
  cases enabled a reduction of conventional
  medication. Based on these findings, the
  author proposes a hypotheses in which
  rebellious (retrograde) qi flow, beginning
  at the site of injury, could set in motion
  the cascade of changes in Qi flow that
  precipitate the symptoms and neurologic
  damage found in PD. It is proposed that
  decreased dopamine is not the cause of
  PD, but is a side effect of this cascade of
  changes. Included is a review of PD
  from the Western perspective.

  Please address all correspondence and
  reprint requests directly to the author at:
  Parkinson's Disease Treatment Center,
  343 Soquel Avenue, Suite 413, Santa
  Cruz, California U.S.A. 95060. Tel:
  +831-460-9328.
                                  I. The Western Perspective on
Parkinson's
                                  Disease
                                  A. Etiology and pathophysiology
                                  B. Signs and symptoms
                                  C. Treatment
                                  II. Preliminary Observation to
Investigate
                                  the Possibility of Prior Energetic
Trauma
                                  A. Background
                                  B. Subjects
                                  C. Treatment
                                  D. Results
                                  E. Discussion
                                  III. Hypothesis
                                  A. Injury
                                  B. Rebellious Qi
                                  C. Effect of the Gallbladder
channel on the
                                  Du channel
                                  D. Role of dopamine
                                  E. Sleep patterns
                                  F. Tremor
                                  G. Loss of coordination
                                  H. The "Mask"
                                  I. Foot drop
                                  J. Qi flow and FSR
                                  K. Summary
                                  IV. Case Study
                                  V. Conclusion

                                  PARKINSON S disease (PD) is the
second
                                  most common neurological disorder
in the
                                  world after Alzheimer's disease.1
It is an
                                  idiopathic,
  American Journal of Acupuncture, Vol. 26,
  No. 2/3, 1998

Cheers ,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+