Dr. Winterkorn - your responses have been very helpful and I thank you.  I am,
however, a little unclear about the scotchtape on the inside of the left
eyeglass lens:
    why the left?  is it because I mentioned that the left is my "bad" side?  or
is it because we drive on the right side of the road?
    should the tape cover the entire lens? or just a part?
  And a question on the reading problem: are you suggesting that the prisms are
too strong, or rather that I should try to hold the book further away using the
existing prism lens?

These nit-picking questions come out of my great concern about the problems and
the desire to use your advice properly and help myself in some way.

Again, I am very grateful for your response.

Nancy Shlaes deGrazia