        Does it matter that Janet Reno doesn't use the word Parkinson's? ( at
least not in this article)  Since her diagnosis she has never hidden or
denied the fact that she has PD.  No matter how she chooses to refer to
it, people throughout the  world know she has Parkinson's - they can see
and read about her symptons; they can see it has progressed; they've
learned that Parkinson's is not only a disease of the aged, but that it
can strike younger people as well. Without talking much about PD, she has
still done a great deal to help educate the public.
        I was diagnosed around the same time as Reno, and I found her example
helped me get through those early days when I was afraid my  life was
over at 45. At that time as well as today, I think that what she is
saying by her actions and attitude is that you have to get on with your
life; that you should do whatever makes you happy and to accomplish
whatever you can - today. For her it is being the Attorney General, maybe
for others it is taking time off from work to pursue other interests. A
good lesson for everyone, only people fighting a chronic disease can see
it more clearly.  I don't think she was minimizing the seriousness of PD
- she is coping with it in a manner that  works for her. Maybe in the
future she will become more vocal about research funding and political
issues, but  I think her honesty and public visibility has accomplished
much in terms of public awareness about Parkinson's and that is important
too.
Linda Herman