Dennis Nestler wrote:

> This has to be new.  I was watching our local news tonight when they
> announced that there would be a report about treating a brain condition that
> effects over 1 million Americans.  The report was about a new procedure to
> help people with Parkinson's.  The report was about a man that had a new
> brain surgery where they took out some of his brain cells and engineered them
> to produce dopamine and replaced them back into his brain.  The report ended

ex-vivo gene therapy autotransplantation--my hope for the future too.

> by stating that the long term results where unknown but for now he has a

The steady hand could be an artifact of the surgery.  Nerves (or stem cells)
may grow slowly, so it may be a while to see how it all takes.
I will go looking for the abstract when I have a chance to log on here...
right now, I'm getting ready for a small gathering for my son's third birthday.
Perhaps it is new, human  research that is yet unpublished
 scientifically and not enough cases have been done for statistical comparisons.

>From what I remember, there was an article about stem cells found in the
lining tissues of the brain.

Stem cells have also been found in the carotid glands. In monkeys, that tissue
has been auto-transplanted to the brain with favorable results. The work is
being done in Spain and they are moving on to a human study.

> steady hand.  Can I say wow to this report?  I've not read anything on the

Say WOW...since it is at the human phase of study, and cross your fingers (if
you still can).

> list about this.  Does anyone else have any info on this new brain surgery?
>
> Denny
> 57/52/51

Off the top of my head:

1) xeno-transplantation (pig/other specie fetal tissues)
2) transplantation (human fetal tissues)
3) transplantation (human fetal stem cell lines) from tissue cultures
4) auto-transplantation (your own cells moved around)
5) auto-transplantation (ex-vivo cell culture to grow up enough to implant)
6) auto-transplantation (ex-vivo cell culture with gene(s) added and then implanted)
7) gene therapy in vivo (genetically engineered virus managed directly in brain)

8) other categories and subsets of the above...

Research is being done in all of the above categories for supplying our brain with
the cells that have been lost. This sort of work is highly complex and technical
involving many fields of expertise...hopefully, it will all come together.
Work that is in far flung fields may be helpful in unexpected ways too...
though seemingly unrelated now. Some work is just in its infancy in genetically
engineered mice, viruses and cell lines... or the human genome work.

Like I said, I'll go looking when I have a chance...or perhaps Janet P. or
or Judith R, or others can come up with it first.

                             Ray Strand
                 mailto:[log in to unmask]

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................