dear carmen

also, carmen, in your first message, you wrote:

>My mother has been 15 years with PD, since the diagnosis she took
>SINEMET, and now she is extremely bad, she walks just a few minutes
>a day and she is always rigid, her mouth seems as it "grow", and
>now she can not speak normally at all...
>She takes:
>SINEMET 2 pills and a half every day,
>(in 1/2 pill doses, every three hours), and
>LEXOTAN (bromazepan) and
>AKINETON (biperideno)...

I am very concerned about your mother and all of the medicines she is taking -
those prescribed by the neurologist and those prescribed by the homeopathic
doctor.

I am not familiar with any of the medicina natural that you mention. I am
very familiar with Sinemet, and have done some research on Akineton and
Lexotan on the web.

I am not a doctor. My only claim to knowledge about Parkinson's is my own
experience.

I have had Parkinson's for 13 or 14 years. My major symptoms before taking
any medicines were: slowness of movement [bradykinesia] and rigidity. I did
not have the other common symptoms of Parkinson's - tremor, or balance
problems.

I immediately looked for every book I could find about Parkinson's. I found
the wonders of the World Wide Web and all the information that is
accessible there. I found the miracle of the Parkinson Information Exchange
network [PIEnet] which is how your message came to us.

Sadly, there is a lot of ignorance in the general public and in the medical
professions about Parkinson's. Because of this, I advise everyone who is
affected by Parkinson's, whether they have it themselves, or their loved
ones have it, to learn as much as they can about Parkinson's, in order to
ensure that they get the best possible medical care.

I am concerned about your mother's medicine schedule:
how much she takes of each of Sinemet and Akineton and Lexotan?
what size is each dose in milligrams?
at what time does she takes them through the day?
how long she has been taking the current dose amounts?

I wonder if she has been taking Akineton and Lexotan for a long time? When
is the most recent time that the neurologist changed her medicine
prescriptions?

If your mother has had Parkinson's for 15 years, it appears to me that she
might be UNDER-dosed with Sinemet [contrary to what the homeopathic doctor
thinks!] and also might be suffering from some interactions or side-effects
from the Akineton or the Lexotan.

I, too, have suffered with, and still take medicine for, clinical
depression. It is very common with Parkinson's - it may even be related to
Parkinson's in the way the brain chemicals are out of balance.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would want to discuss the Akineton
and the Lexotan with the neurologist, because I suspect that they may be
causing more problems than they are solving.

They are very rarely mentioned among this PIEnet group of 1800 worldwide. I
have even searched the archives of our e-mail messages going back to 1993,
and found very little mention of them.

If you discuss this with your mother's neurologist and his ego gets upset
by your interest and concern, I would suggest looking for another
neurologist.

We all know that brain chemistry is a very serious matter; even a tiny
change in a medicine can have very serious effects - we have seen drug
interactions cause terrible damage and even death - even under the 'best'
of hospital care.

I will send some of the information that I found on the web to you and to
the PIEnet separately. Please do not feel overwhelmed by the 'medical' or
'scientific' language. It is just one 'word' after another ...!

The English language is quite limited sometimes. You signed your message,
'from your nephews', which made me smile for more than one reason. In
English, 'sister' means a female relative - a daughter of your parents; and
'brother' means a male relative - a son of your parents; and then 'sibling'
means either sister or brother - it is a word which has no gender. Also, in
English, 'niece' means a female relative - a daughter of a sibling of your
parents [!]. And, 'nephew' means a male relative - a son of a sibling of
your parents [!]. However, there is no word which means either a niece or a
nephew - so I made one up! - if my sisters and brothers are called
'siblings' I think I should be able to call my nieces and nephews 'niblings'!!

So, greetings and !hola! to my cyber-sibling and my cyber-niblings!!

your cyber-tia

janet

ps
please, to the PIEnet people,
any comments? any recommendations? any translations?

janet paterson   52 now 41 dx 37 onset  [log in to unmask]
613-256-8340   PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a  new  voice  <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>