Hi Phil,

You  are obviously right when you say that not all surgery needs to be
confirmed in effectiveness by double blind studies.  No one would dream
of trying to confirm the effectiveness of a kidney transplant using a
double blind protocol.  The example Johnson used however is the classic
example cited in its necessity. (From transcript of 20/20 ABCNEWS web
site)

                 DR TIMOTHY JOHNSON (on camera) The idea of
                 placebo surgery is not new, nor is the controversy
                 surrounding it. For example, back in the 1950s, doctors
                 tried fake surgery on patients with chest pain. Some
                 patients in the experiment got real surgery. Their chest

                 was opened up. An internal artery was tied off, then
they
                 were sewn back up. But other patients got fake surgery.
                 Their chest was opened up, but nothing was done inside.
                 Then they were sewn back up. But they were never told
                 they were in an experiment. They were never told they
                 got fake surgery. They were totally deceived.
                 Nonetheless, the results were amazing. (VO) Ted
                 Kaptchuk (ph) of Boston's Beth Israel/Deaconess
                 Hospital has studied the history of the placebo effect.

                 TED KAPTCHUK, BETH
                 ISRAEL/DEACONNESS HOSPITAL The people
                 that got the fake surgery, sham (ph) surgery, 100
percent
                 of them improved for six months on objective and
                 subjective measures. That's how long they followed
                 them. The people who got the real surgery, 72 percent
                 improved. That's an amazing example of the power of
                 surgery as a placebo.

                 DR TIMOTHY JOHNSON (VO) Placebo surgery
                 without patient knowledge raised obvious ethical
                 questions and was abandoned in the 1960s. But these
                 doctors from the University of Colorado and New
                 York’s Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center have
                 announced the results from a placebo brain surgery study

                 on Parkinson’s patients in which the patients were fully

                 informed.
If one ignores the the ethical breech (or better  uses the experimental
design as a negative example),  it is clear  that one has to be quite
certain of "the obvious".  It doesn't matter in the case of fetal
transplant (as a procedure in general use) what a PET scan shows if you
can't document clinical improvement that correlates with it. In my case
I have gotten clinically worse. I don't care (as a patient) what my PET
Scan shows. If others in my group have done as poor as I have then one
could not justify the risk of whatever surgery was done to me as a
treatment for PD (unless there was a placebo group which did considerably
worse).  I do at some point want to know but regardless of what group I
was in important information was gained which could not have been
obtained any other way but through the double blind process.

BTW in the experiment there are built-in features which will stop the
experiment if benefits are so obvious that it would be unethical to hold
back the treatment from the public and conversely will stop the study if
major adverse events occur in any of the groups.

Thanks for providing a distraction to focus on something besides the
surgery. :-)

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.