On Sun 23 May, Teresa V. Bohuszewicz wrote:
> Can anyone help with this question?
>
> Teresa

For RAJ BANDEKAR

Hello Raj:  RE: Bromocryptine, also known as PARLODEL.  This was the first
of the Dopamine agonists to be put on the market, at a rough guess about 10
yrs ago. It was added to my drug list as I was in considerable trouble
trying to cope with l-dopa alone. Let me say first that I am sure that there
are many people out there who are getting satisfactory results taking
Bromocryptine. However, I am not one of them!! I found that after about 6
months on the drug, I began to become neurotic - I gave my wife a very hard
time, Argued all the time, and generally was a pain in the ***. Fortunately
a friend managed to gather the courage to tell me what I was doing, and I
dropped the bromo immediately. 2 weeks later, I was my old self.  I have
seen enough comments from other PWPs to convince me that the risk of
unpleasant side-effects from Bromo is significant.

Another important point is that the later agonists claim to have the
ability to substitute for some of the levadopa, without provoking the
associated dyskinesias (Random unco-ordinated
ordinated movements of the arms, legs, or somtimes the whole body. If you
see words like 'stimulates the D2 receptors only' they will be referring
to the above point.

Drug companies like to claim that their product is ,'neuro-protective'
meaning that they (as a supplementary function) fight against the (still
unknown) causes of PD. I do not believe that any of them have this
property

In summary; there are more effective drugs on the market, with lower (but
not zero) chance of side-effects.  I would suggest that your advisor
should drag himself into the 20th century
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]