I have no personal experience to share, but recently on the CARE list there
was discussion of a similar problem---and the safety factor was an issue
because the regulations for nursing homes in that state would not allow ANY
type of restraint, even with careful patient assessment and a doctor's
order.  Have you checked to see what the situation is where she lives?  In
Ohio, use of gentle restraints (pillow in lap, tray on chair, etc.) IS
allowed if there has been an indicidual assessment of the person, and a
doctor orders it.  I seriously doubt that counseling or behavior mod .would
help if there is cognitive loss.

>My mother is 84.  Recently her PD has advance rapidly, probably complicated by
>one or more small strokes.  At this point she cannot walk without great danger
>of falling.  Unfortunately, her short term memory and  her cognition as a
>whole
>have greatly diminished, and therefore she keeps attempting to get up from her
>wheelchair and/or her bed despite being reminded repeatedly that she needs
>assistance.   She also has a great deal of difficulty sleeping at night,
>and has
>recently been prescribed Ambien 5mg, which she appears to tolerate well.  It
>ensures at least 3-4 hours sleep, but this still leaves up to 20 hours of
>wakefulness when she is in danger of falling.    We have moved her to a
>skilled
>nursing facility and even there we are being asked to provide private duty
>caregivers from 3PM (when most of the activities end) until 7AM to see
>that she
>does not get up and fall.  This solves her safety problem  but will be very
>expensive to maintain for any length of time.
>
>Does anyone have experience with easing PWP's through this transition?  Has
>anyone had any success with any kind of counseling or behavior modification
>approach when there is significant cognitive impairment?  Any other ideas?
>
>Carol Lemlein
>caregiver to Marie 84/79/

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "