YoungPD I&R wrote:

> Does anyone know where this great article may have come from?

bI'm not so sure about the "great".  There are many vague points
which, if made more concrete, would result in a more practically
useful article. For example, it says,

> Anything that delays the emptying of your stomach into your small
> bowel can reduce the amount of Sinemet that is absorbed into your
> blood and transported to your brain.

It doesn't say what these "anythings" are. A very important cause of
delay is fat content. Is there anything else?

> Also, certain foods, such as those that are high in protein,
> contain substances that actually compete with Sinemet for entry
> into the brain.

What are the names of these "certain foods" and "substances"?  What
else besides protein competes with sinemet?

I can think of other points which might be addressed:

* considerations in timing of medicines in relation to food intake,

* the sinemet quick start tips mentioned on the list,

* effects of alcohol -- I recall someone describing an incident in
which alcohol caused sinemet absorption to be too quick, resulting
in severe dyskinesia.

> It is especially important to discuss diet with your doctor if you
> are experiencing changes in the control of your symptoms throughout
> the day, or if you've noticed that your ability to function seems
> to be affected when you eat certain foods.

I'm curious -- how much training in nutrition and its effects on
drug delivery do neurologists receive?

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990