Dear Harlan,
Welcome to the List. There are many other young-onset members besides
yourself. Good for you for exercising regularly, and for seeking
information.

> Sometimes, I stiffen up, especially after a big meal, when my sinemet cannot
> get into my small intestine because my lunch is in my stomach.  This is the
> most disturbing time for me.
> If anyone has some advice, besides eating a smaller lunch, as to how to avoid
> stiffening up in the afternoon after a big meal, I would be happy to receive
> such.

Are you taking regular Sinemet or Sinemet CR (or a combination)? Regular
Sinemet must be taken at least 30 minutes prior to meals. Sinemet CR,
taken WITH meals will take longer to get into the bloodstream, but may
produce a more consistent effect; taken BEFORE meals, it will kick in
sooner. Tasmar must be taken prior to meals.

One of my clients esperienced the same problem you have; she was
convinced she needed a pallidotomy, because Sinemet did not work for
her. On reviewing her record of medications/meals, I discovered she was
taking her midday Sinemet with her meal. I suggested she begin taking it
30-45 minutes prior to to meal, and her afternoon stiffness immediately
cleared up.

Regarding size of meals -- I understand that smaller, more frequent
meals can be inconvenient, however these are often by far the most
effective for people with PD. The GI tract may slow down, meaning that
food takes longer to clear the stomach, and also to move through the
intestines. A large meal will takes considerably longer than a small
meal, and can significantly delay medication uptake.

To get the most out of your medications, you may find it helps to eat a
number of small meals and nutritious snacks, rather than 3 large meals a
day.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--