Hi Elizabeth,

> If I have to be careful of my protein intake when can I
> have protein since I am taking the controlled release kind?  By having the
> CR type is the sinemet released continuously with every dosage?

That's a very good question. Yes, Sinemet CR is released continuously
over a period of several hours. Studies of Sinemet CR show that if it's
taken WITH a protein-containing meal, it will take longer to enter the
bloodstream,but is likely to product a "flatter" (fewer peaks & valleys)
effect. However, if taken 30-45 minutes BEFORE meals, its effects will
take place sooner.

Depending on how often you take Sinemet CR, it's quite likely that you
will have one or more meals before you take the next dose, and those
meals no doubt will contain protein. You should still get a good effect
from your sinemet CR's slow release, although it's effects are not
always as strong as those for regular Sinemet.

If you are quite sensitive to protein, it's a good idea to avoid large
amounts of protein, such as a large cheeseburger or steak, at a meal.
Eat smaller amounts, at more frequent intervals throughout the day. If
you are very protein-sensitive, you might consider trying the
high-carbohydrate 7:1 plan -- seven parts carbohydrate to one part
protein at meals and snacks. Some of my clients have gotten very good
results, although this is by no means universal.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD