> In short, my father ( 68 yr.. ,PD for 1 year ) had heart surgery 5
weeks ago.
>His heart is fine now , but all else is not. They have done 2 CT scans
and say he has >not had a stroke. He continues to have PT and OP daily,
with not a lot of progress. He >can not feed himself,  any
selfcare,stand or sit by himself. He can swallow soft foods. >He had a
feeding tube put in last week. That way they will make sure he is
getting >1600 calories daily. He speaks some, most of the time very hard
to understand. He is >on Sinemet every 2 1/2 hours and something for the
pain in his feet, I'm sorry I don't >know that one. This continues to be
so trying on my mother, and myself. They live in >Illinois, ( I in
Kentucky ), I call several times daily and visit when we can.
 >With all the experience you all have, is this possibly a permanent
condition ? Do you
 >all think, in time, a lot of time , he will get  better ? I know that
we can never predict
 >what will happen. We keep praying that he will come out of this.

Dear Kathy:

My wife has PD but I had bypass last year.  I lost my appetite totally
for at least four weeks and could not even tolerate ices, and I lost
well over 30 lbs.  I was lucky in a way that both my room mate and I
were upbeat and told jokes and kept the nurses
in stitches.  I could easily tolerate the loss of weight and every kept
telling me that it was temporary.  Indeed the weight loss was alas
temporary.
My cardialogist said that there is something about the heart pump that
causes this loss
of appetite.  A feeding tube is very hard to take and that itself is
depressing.  The quality of medical and nursing care is of paramount
importance in coronary rehab.
Good cheer and optimism from everybody surrounding him should help.  If
professional psychiatric care is advised, take advantage and use it by
all means.
With best wishes

Michel Margosis