-----Original Message-----
From: YoungPD I&R <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 8:43 AM
Subject: Diet and Sinemet article source

>Does anyone know where this great article may have come from?
>
>Diet And Sinemet:
>What's The Connection?
>
>Have you ever wondered why some medicines work best when taken with meals,
>others when taken without any food or drink, and still others are
unaffected
>by what or when you eat? One reason is that different medicines are
absorbed
>into your bloodstream in different ways.  Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa),
>unlike some other medicines, is not absorbed into the bloodstream from the
>stomach. It is absorbed from the small bowel after the stomach empties its
>contents there. Anything that delays the emptying of your stomach into your
>small bowel can reduce the amount of Sinemet that is absorbed into your
blood
>and transported to your brain. Also, certain foods, such as those that are
>high in protein, contain substances that actually compete with Sinemet for
>entry into the brain. When less Sinemet gets to your brain, poor symptom
>control results.
>Because diet can reduce the effectiveness of your Sinemet therapy, doctors
>sometimes suggest dietary changes that help ensure consistent levels of
this
>medicine in your system. The need for these changes must be evaluated along
>with the need for a well-balanced diet that allows you to maintain an ideal
>body weight.  For example, to maintain an appropriate level of protein in
>your diet but keep it from interfering with your medication, your doctor
may
>suggest: (1) restricting your protein intake if it is higher than the
>recommended daily allowance, (2) distributing it more evenly throughout the
>day, or (3) restricting it to the evening meal to make sure that you get
the
>full benefit of your medication during the day.
>It is especially important to discuss diet with your doctor if you are
>experiencing changes in the control of your symptoms throughout the day, or
>if you've noticed that your ability to function seems to be affected when
you
>eat certain foods. These are signs that your diet is interfering with the
>absorption of your medication, and some adjustments may be needed.
>If you are taking Eldepryl (selegiline hydrochloride) Capsules along with
>Sinemet, it's helpful to know that there are no specific dietary
restrictions
>associated with taking them at the recommended doses of a 5-mg capsule with
>breakfast and a 5-mg capsule with lunch. Unlike some similar medicines,
>Eldepryl Capsules at recommended doses work on one specific enzyme, and are
>therefore rarely affected by foods that contain a substance called
tyramine,
>like some fermented cheeses and red wines.
>
>Please contact Susan Reese or Judy Wilson at the APDA Young Parkinson
> [...]
it would be a week in the hospital well 3 opp. 51/2 months later I got out.
some times when I eat I just eat in the reading room. so I don,t get to much
good out of my sinemet. to day was a bad day. had to take 3 showers and
change of clothes.  lolo  and I can not use fruit duce or any kind of pop.
at one time on the list taold how any thing out side of water was bad for
you. so you who can use some thing good for you.  later I will talk of more.

                                                                  I.Y.Q.
DON   VIVIAN