-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Don Coplin & Glenna McK Coplin <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: vrijdag 28 mei 1999 21:20
Onderwerp: Re: DBS of the STN

Hi Glenna,

>> but thought it was not available in the US.  However, some PWPs seem
to be getting it in the States somehow. <<

Some listmembers in USA can inform you better about that.
AS far as I know it's limited available as a trial.

>> superior over pallidotomy if a patient is eligible for pallidotomy. <<

Such operations are allways patient specific.
Depending on PD symptoms and other conditions.
In general, if there is no urgency for operating, it's IMO advisable to wait
for the availability of the (bi-)lateral DBS of the STN.
Pallidotomy mostly reduces stiffness and slow movement, but the levels of
meds can hardly be reduced.
Thalamotomy mostly reduces tremor, but can only be done on ONE side, because
bi-lateral it gives complications with speech amongst others.
Pallidotomy and thalamotomy are one time events, but with DBS the strenght
of the pulses can be adjusted, switch polarity or change the way the input
of the pulses are devided over the several electrodes.
And DBS reduces stiffnes as well as tremor and meds can be reduced.

Hans.