Hi Ivan,
> Wonder what  each of you thinks about Mt. Dew soda as compared to
> Coca-Cola.
>  Ingredients in Mt. Dew include Parkie-friendly ingredients (Kathrynne  -
> what do you have to say, oh diet guru that you are?):
>  - high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar
>  - concentrated orange juice
>  - citric acid
>  - carbonated water.

Diet guru?! Um, well.......
I've looked up Mountain Dew in a food composition database, and sad to
say it does not appear to have any nutritive values except for
carbohydrates (sugar). But that could simply be because the company did
not provide a detailed nutrient analysis, and the USDA hasn't gotten
around to analyzing it yet. With concentrated OJ and citric acid, there
should be some vitamin C content.

I have heard, though have not been able to substantiate with any
pharmacists I've talked to, that carbonation dissolves the Sinemet
faster, thus the boost. And I suspect that carbohydrates in the form of
simple sugars may aid, as well. So a carbonated drink would be a very
good way to speed Sinemet delivery to the brain.

> I find that Coca-Cola helps also, but more slowly. It seems to me
> to be sweeter, more syrupy, and can knock me into dyskinesia.
> Mountain Dew works faster, more predictably, and more evenly, for me,
> at least.

Could well be true for others as well. Or again, it could be highly
individual. In any case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

> In either case, a quick energy boost can be obtained form Reese's Peanut
> Butter Cups --( Barb Mallut and other PWP chocolate lovers can confirm?)!

Aw, come on -- what about a Dairy Queen Blizzard?! Works for me every
time.

Best,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/