On 5/17,  Bob Dolezal shared info with us on Mucuna Pruiens (Velvet Beans).
(Thank you very much for this, Bob).
In asking around, I've been told this is the best natural substance for
Parkinson's.

An herbalist told me that these are supposedly more potent than Fava beans.
For Parkinson's, Fava bean _sprouts_ are 10 times more potent than
fava beans.  And Velvet beans are 5x more potent than fava sprouts.

I got powder which is the only form the herbal store has. They will
try to make this in to a tincture which will be even more concentrated.

VI. PRESENTATION: AYURVEDIC HERBAL TREATMENT FOR PARKINSON'S
      DISEASE

      Dr. Bala Manyam

 Dr. Manyam began his presentation by noted that the Indian system
 of medicine, known  as ayurvedic medicine, is the oldest system of
 medicine in the world that is based on scientific principles.   A
 legume similar to the soybean, Mucuna pruiens, has long been used
 in ayurvedic medicine, and is known to contain L-DOPA as well as other
 agents that are equally as effective. Nutritional analysis suggests that
 Mucuna pruiens   provides  enough Vitamin C to enhance the uptake of
  L-DOPA, and acute and chronic toxicity tests in animal studies showed
  no adverse effects from its use as a supplement. In a four-center open
  clinical trial in India which evaluated the efficacy of Mucuna pruiens
  in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease, significant patient improvements
  were noted at a statistically significant level. The side effects are
  mostly gastrointestinal in nature (possibly because Mucuna is a legume).
  Additional work needs to be completed on the production of Mucuna for
  treatment, which has been marketed in India for the past four years, but
  is not currently available in the United States.

- Marilyn -

  Marilyn Gang       [log in to unmask]      Toronto, Ontario, Canada