>Hi Marilyn and bean folks,
>
>Could the L-dopa - rich velvet beans be SPROUTED and then maybe all of us
>PWP's, Kathrynne Holden, and the warthogs of PORKland (maine and oregon)
>could add them to our  salads and entrees?

That's a very good idea, Ivan, especially as sprouts contain the
life energy of food.  I will try to get some of the beans sometime to
try this.

And even making Essene (or Manna) bread out of the sprouts, where basically,
you take new sprouts, grind them up, and if you like mix in grated
carrots and/or raisins and/or cinnamon and put it in a dehydrator.
So live food is created.  This is enzyme rich.  Gee, Ivan, you've
given us the idea for Parky Bread!  Parky Bread for Porkers?  (oh no!! <g>)

> More seriously, does the L-Dopa get converted to dopamine, in  the
>gastro-intestinal system?   Wouldn't the beans be useful ONLY if this
>convnersion occurs?

I am guessing that this would have to take place in the GI system.
The starch (carbohydrate) portion would begin its breakdown in the
mouth if enough saliva were produced and continue in the small
intestine.  The protein portion would take place in the stomach, assuming
there was enough HCL et al.   And since it is a natural substance it
would be more easily recognized by the body, and hence, absorbed and
assimilated.

I hope more people on the list (more than Bob Dolezal, who orginally told us
about Velvet Beans) try this on a consistent basis and report back to us.

I originally got my info from:
http://altmed.od.nih.gov/nccam/news-events/ampac/1998/mar/6.htm

So, how's the weather for Mainiacs?  Is it summer yet?

- Marilyn -