On Sat 29 May, Ida & Andre Kamphuis wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
>
> Placebo

I enjoyed reading Ida's message on Placebo procedures used in scientific
testing, and I am certainly not going to criticise the inclusion of placebo
'dummies'. I actually was an unwitting placebo recipient in a trial in which
I was involved ( for the drug Remacemide). I set to, with all my finely
tuned skills after years of measuring myself for my levodopa analysis
program, only to find that I seemed to be getting a highly accurate zero!
My neurologist later confirmed that I had indeed been a control. There was
one placebo in every four people tested in that trial.
  Although it is no different in principle, I am a little worried about the
way that the placebo concept was applied in the recently-reported fetal
cell transplants. You get through a lot of Parkies with batch sizes of 20,
don't you.
  Actually, I feel rather more sympathy for the 20 genuine cases: Who I
wonder specified the package, because it did not seem to be very effective.
If the package had been the subject of one of two tests and had proved to
be productive in those tests then OK, but what went wrong in the big batch?
  If the package was only expected to produce the rather poor results which
were achieved, then we have another problem: It would have to be a
particularly  dedicated researcher to consign 20 PWPs to a procedure having
such an uncertain outcome.
  On a lighter note, I cannot help imagining a cartoon showing an Operating
Theatre where the team are playing a hand of poker across the operating
table, and someone is saying "These placebo ops certainly relieve the
strain, don't they?"

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>