Dear listmembers,

Placebo

Though the discussion about the sham surgery and as a spinoff the placebo
effect, seems finished, I am still going to stress an important and in the
discussion ignored aspect of it. Everyone who reads about research on the
effects of drugs knows that in such research it is not only the patient who
is not permitted to know whether he had the real stuff or the "placebo",
but the researcher too, because his observations too are influenced by his
expectation or by his whishes about the outcome. The importance of this
effect is one of the fundamental notions from experimental psychology.
To understand (in part) how this can happen without accusing the researcher
of lying ( which happens too) one needs to demistify the placebo concept
and scrutinize what is happening in the relation between the patient and
the doctor.
I have been told many years ago, by one of my post-doc instructors on
psychotherapy, the following story. She had been, in the sixties, to one of
the first congresses on behaviour therapy. There had been, so she told, a
psychiatrist from Turkey who in his speech told the stunned audience that
he treated neurotic disturbances all in the same, quite simple, way and had
an unprecedented rate of succes. He encouraged the patients to talk about
their
symptoms and while doing so, they were given electric shocks. After some
time the patients learned they could avoid the shock by answering him that
they had not any symptom left. They were send home and half a year after
they were phoned by the psychiatrist, who asked them whether the symptoms
had shown up again, in which case the treatment had to be repeated. They
all answered they had been free of symptoms ever since. So, he concluded,
his rate of success was 100%. Truly an unprecedented number in medical
history.
Of course, this story makes a caricature of the doctor-patient relation.
But it is a caricature, which illustrates in a way a phenomenon that may
happen in reality  between a doctor and his patient. Instead of using
electrick shocks doctors might "punish" their patients, who don't
ameliorate by their therapy, by subtle social cues, which causes the
patient to feel rejected. That can happen on a completely sub-conscious
level. But to avoid a process like this happening and making the evaluation
of therapies worthless, the doctor has to be aware of the possibility it is
happening.
So when years later I myself lectured in psychotherapy, I in my turn told
the story of the Turkish psychiatrist every time when the subject was how
to get sound information from the patient about the state of his symptoms.
The concept "placebo", is in generally used to permit oneself to stop
thinking,
just like the "it's all in the mind" concept.
I have another, now first hand, story about that. A collegue psychologist,
writing his thesis wanted to prove that the therapeutic effect of a med.
was not real, but that its effect was was a placebo-effect. He did an
experiment with a group of patients who were randomly divided into two
groups. All patients got the same medicine, but one  group was told that
sadly there was no effective med for their symptoms but they nevertheless
got a med, that had yet to be officially evaluated, but, so they were told,
the researchers wanted to avoid deception by telling them from the start
not to expect any amelioration. The other group was told, they were luckey,
because a new med. had great promises for the curing of their disease etc.
etc.
When the patients from both groups reported after some weeks about their
condition, the results were as was expected, the patients of the second
group were in a better state than thoses of the first group. Which proved
according to the researcher, that the med in itself was worthless, but an
alternative explanation seemed obvious and should have been tested, i.e.
the patients from the first group had flushed the meds down the toilet or
something like that.

What moral might be drawn from this stories? If a therapeutic effect of
some treatment turns out not to be caused by the stuff that was supposed to
cause it, but by an unknown factor, one does not answer the questions that
arise from that notion by saying it is caused by the "placebo effect". In
fact being to easily satisfied by such a non-explanation  might be a
hindrance in learning to understand the factor that really did cause the
effect. That is a hindrance
to profit maximally from the results of the research.
Besides, I always suspect a docter, who claims a 100% success rate, of
being one who does not "permit" his patients to say the therapy did not work.

regards, Ida Kamphuis

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]